Out of the Blue (2009)
Download/view enormous full-version of poster here! (3.45 mb)
Download/view printer-friendly .pdf version of the press release here! (118 kb)
Friday, August 14, 2009 at 7:00 P.M.
401 Van Ness, San Francisco
Join Youth for Asian Theater for an evening of original plays and monologues written, directed and performed by San Francisco youth.
- “There’s Something About Death” written by Stephanie Tong, directed by Stephanie Tong and Brandon Cai.
Meet the grim reaper who’s just as troubled as you are.
- “Fear of Falling” written by Mark Lee, directed by Mark Lee, Liana Lo, and Reza Kurniawan.
Everything we do has a consequence. Is it worth the fall?
- “A Danish Tragedy” written by Samantha Eng, directed by Victoria T. Wong and Paul Mallari.
Shakespeare is rolling over in his grave. Right now.
- “An Issue of Punctuality” written and directed by Amanda Arenas.
Even the most perfect love story has its kinks.
- “Midnight Lotuses” written by Aaron Louie, directed by Yessenia Chaiu and Justin Chan.
Women loving women: are we really the ones to judge?
- “At A Loss For Words” written by Angela May Chen, directed by Angela May Chen and Nathaniel Dizon.
- “What Would Harry Potter Do?” written by Samantha Eng, directed by Cathy Huang.
Humans have a knack for choosing precisely the things that are worst for them.
Youth for Asian Theater is the only not-for-profit San Francisco theater company in which students operate all aspects of theater production. Thus, YFAT members are given the opportunity to develop into articulate and effective leaders. YFAT is absolutely free not only for actors, but for audience members as well, enabling us to reach a large part of the community not typically exposed to theater. YFAT is also the only San Francisco youth acting group that concentrates on the struggles of being Asian-American, a much-neglected subject in a city where the population is one-third Asian and local history is rich with Asian culture. Every summer, members rehearse rigorously for eight weeks at the Sunset Recreation Center of the San Francisco Recreation and Park Department.
Company also includes: Amy Yee, Anita Wu, Brandon Cheng, Clarence Tse, Connie Lo, Courtney Lee, David Tran, Debra Fong, Diem Vo, Frances Yan, Jacinta Wu, Judy Cheng, Katharine Chew, Kelley Ogami, Kim Do, Maggie Huang, Margaret Tsai, Marvin Huang, Matt Kitagawa, Matthew Gee, Melanie Tam, Michelle Wu, Reza Kurniawan, Sharon Gong, Terry Kitagawa, and Wilson Szeto.